An enterprise starts collecting and generating documents from its foundation and management of a customer relationship requires ongoing commitment to maintain and to produce content of different types such as proposals, contracts, PowerPoint presentations etc. There is a need to keep all of this information in a centralized repository with an ability to manage the entire lifecycle of the document.
Key Objectives for Enterprise Content and Document Management
Any enterprise generates information on an ongoing basis as part of the customer relationship lifecycle. Analytics solutions are built to gather customer interactions in some way or the other.
Many content and document management projects are challenged during the preparatory work of defining business processes and often rules are ignored. It is not enough to import current file folder structures into a document management solution, metadata structure should be in place. Converting bad file/folder structure into a document management system will create a ineffective solution.
Criteria of effective Content and Document Management Solution
An enterprise content and document management solution defined by industry analysts requires key features and technology to serve enterprise environments. In the selection process of a solution, an enterprise should pay special attention to criteria that the organization has collected as part of the requirement analysis process. Some of the key elements that we find to be very important for any enterprise document and content management solution are as follows:
- Effective and centralized metadata management
- Effective search based on metadata and categorization
- Ability to access information using any device such as tablet, smart phone etc.
- Ability to collaborate and share information with internal and external parties
- Ability to scan papers into the solution using any industry standard scanner
- Ability to integrate with other productivity solutions such as email, CRM etc.